Free School Meals
For information about school meals CLICK HERE to go to the Bradford Council website information about school meals.
Bradford Council have created a new online forum for free school meals updates. Follow the link below for extra information: http://www.bradford.gov.uk/bmdc/advice_benefits_and_council_tax/
From September 2014 all children in reception class, year 1 and year 2 will get a free school meal – regardless of their parents’ income. However, you may still need to apply.
The Bradford council form is now online. Follow the link below
As soon as you’ve filled in the details, you will find out straight away if you qualify or not.
Why are school meals so important?
School meals are a great way for your child to get a healthy, nutritious and balanced lunch.
Do I need to apply for Free School Meals?
Families should apply if they get any of these benefits:
- Income Support
- Income Based Jobseekers Allowance
- Income Related Employment and Support Allowance
- Child Tax Credit with an annual income of less than £16,190, provided they are not receiving Working Tax Credit
- the ‘Guaranteed’ element of the State Pension Credit
- support under Part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999 (you will need to apply directly to the school not Bradford Council)
- Working Tax Credit run-on (paid for 4 weeks after you stop qualifying for Working Tax Credit)
- Universal Credit
My children are going to get a Free School Meal anyway – why do I still need to apply?
If you are on any of the benefits listed above it’s important to still apply as any child registered for Free School Meals may get other help too:
- for every child registered, the school will get a “Pupil Premium”. This means the school gets £1,3000 per year for each child registered. This money is to help your child achieve their best at school.
- help with travel costs to school
- help with school uniform costs (speak to the school office about this)
How do I apply?
Make sure you apply as soon as possible as the council cannot backdate any applications.
What if my circumstances change?
If there is a change in your circumstances, or your child changes school, you must contact the council as soon as possible as this may affect your entitlement.
Manningham Customer Service Centre
9.30am – 5.00pm